An Easy Recipe for Cannabis Butter and Oil!
Why would you want to eat a weed? Well that is a very pertinent question. Certainly you are not scampering around in your yard eating dandelions and sorrel are you? Oh. You are? Well fair enough. But this particular weed is a bit different, yes? The weed in question AKA cannabis is a potent plant with a long history of consumption by humans and even a few animals.
The benefits to eating your greens are voluminous. If you cook cannabis properly you can create an end product that is far more potent and can deliver a tightly controlled dose. Certain techniques like decarbing, water curing and using a double boiler for multiple hours can deliver a product that would make you high enough to sit through all six Star Wars movies without batting an eye.
There are key differences between eating and smoking cannabis. Eating it will result in a more potent high that will last quite a bit longer. It will also take you longer to feel the effects – as long as an hour or two – so be careful! Start with a small nibble on an empty stomach and see how you feel – this way you can determine how potent your batch of butter (or oil) is before you bake or cook with it.
Cooking with cannabis is a nuanced science that has been carefully cultivated by experts for decades to arrive at the best possible way to deliver the cleanest and most potent high.
So where can you find this information? Not Here.
Mary and Jane are not experts. We are like you – novices who are curious and willing to experiment but unwilling to gain a degree in chemistry, horticulture and organic gardening simply to make a pot brownie.
If you would like to make the most pure and most potent cannabis butter and oil we implore you to seek additional knowledge elsewhere. The internet is rife with sites devoted to cannabis and its many uses. Knowledge is power and cannabis IS a powerful plant so tread lightly and take our advice with a grain of salt.
Our recipes are entry level user friendly and would not be appropriate for medical use or retail edible sales. But for you our dear guest we offer an easy recipe for MendoLicious butter and oil that you can make at home in less than an hour.
- ½ oz. cannabis – stems, shake, leaves and low grade buds OK*
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
*If you are purchasing cannabis specifically to cook with ask your retailer to suggest a mild, less expensive variety. You wouldn’t make spaghetti sauce with a $50 bottle of wine would you? And if you happen to have some cannabis “laying around” then you are a hippie. No – just kidding! What we mean to say is if you have some antiquated cannabis that seems like it is a bit past its prime then that is perfect to experiment with.
- Fine mesh strainer
- Cheesecloth – (Kitchen Hack! – no cheesecloth? Use paper coffee filters)
- Wooden spoon
- Tupperware with snap on lid
- Grind the cannabis in a coffee grinder or food processor until it resembles coarse bread crumbs. (Thoroughly clean grinder after use!)
- Melt butter over low heat in a saucepan until completely melted. Once the butter has melted and before it begins to foam add the ground cannabis and pull up a chair – you are going to be here a while.
- Very gently cook the cannabis and butter over low heat for approx… 45 minutes. Give it occasional stirs with a wooden spoon and don’t burn it!
- The longer you cook cannabis the more potent it becomes. This length of cooking time should produce a moderately potent butter depending on the potency of the cannabis itself and approx… 8 million other factors. Either spend those 45 minutes on your smartphone researching cannabis cooking or simply make yourself a low tech Bloody Mary and relax while you stir and wait.
- When the 45 minutes are up turn off heat and allow mixture to cool for several minutes while you gather your storage container, fine mesh strainer and cheesecloth.
- Place strainer over storage container (wide shallow Tupperware with snap on lid is best) and line it with a double layer of cheesecloth – let the cloth drape over the edge of the strainer.
- Slowly pour the butter mixture into the strainer/cloth. Once you have emptied the saucepan allow the butter to finish dripping through the strainer, gather up the ends of the cheesecloth and wring it out over the container to get every last drop.
- Throw that cannabis debris away!!!
- Snap the lid on your container and clearly mark it as MendoLicious butter and date it. It should keep for up to 3 months in the refrigerator and you may also freeze it.
And yes…it will be green.
- 3 cups olive oil or coconut oil*
- ½ oz. cannabis – stems, leaves, shake and low grade buds OK
*olive oil tastes better for cooking and coconut oil tastes better for baking
- Fine mesh strainer
- Wooden spoon
Déjà vu much? If you haven’t figured it out already these recipes are very much the same.
Here is the part that is different though so look sharp!
Instructions Gently heat the oil until the surface is barely shimmering. Add a small amount of the coarse ground cannabis and stir. Then add a little more and stir. And again until you have incorporated all the cannabis into the oil and it is fully coated. Them simmer gently on low heat for 45 minutes and allow to cool before straining. Store in a clearly marked container (a mason jar would be a perfect and fashionable choice) in the refrigerator. No freezing!
And there you have it my pretties. An easy and effective infusion recipe that will get you cooking with cannabis in no time.
Always remember to sample your butter or oil before cooking with it – each batch may vary. If you have a sense of how potent it is then you can make good choices about how much to use in a recipe and how to determine a portion size. You have a life my dears! You don’t have all the time in the world to watch Star Wars and inspect the carpet fibers!